Thursday 16 October 2014

The Varifocal Challenge

Yes, I, at almost 41 years of age (when did I get that old?!) have had to accept the varifocal challenge! Man, that makes me feel positively ancient - but I have to say, the chap that fitted my new glasses yesterday had varifocals and he was probably only half my age!!!!

Yes, after an appointment last week, when I confessed that I could no longer use my current specs for both tv watching and sewing/knitting/crochet work that the optician suggested the varifocal option! It was either that, or go for reading glasses, and as I didn't think I could really handle having to swop from one pair to the other constantly, I decided that I'd give this a go.

Choosing the blooming things was the hardest part.  No kidding, I think I must have tried on nearly every pair in the shop.  The girl who helped me really liked one particular pair which I wasn't 100% keen on, so we kept trying until I found these ones.  Thankfully everyone else seems to like them too!


I have to say, Specsavers were brilliant at both my appointments, and I have 30 days to change my mind if I don't like my choice.  I was apprehensive about trying the new lenses, more apprehensive than when the optician said I have a freckle on the back of my eye and I have to go to the hospital to have it checked out, and a sleepless night occurred where I worried myself stupid about having made the right choice - daft eh?!

I have to say when I tried them on yesterday I was amazed that I could see! My prescription has been reduced a little but you wouldn't notice.  The only thing I have to remember is where to hold my head to look at things but I wore them all afternoon yesterday, and felt confident enough to use them for driving too and had no problems.  I had a small headache by the end of the day but nothing to worry about. 

It's day 2 today and it felt a little odd putting them on first thing but it's certainly not as a big a worry as I had anticipated it to be.  So are they a keeper....?  We'll see!


G x

6 comments :

  1. I hope that they work out well for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I m new to your blog but I thought you were younger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello and you are very welcome, and thank you for the compliment! X

      Delete

Please make my day by leaving a comment. x